• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 7, 2021

    Dragon Quest Look out, it's the ̶h̶̶o̶̶r̶̶s̶̶e̶ dog princess! (pixelart by me)

    Dragon Quest Look out, it's the ̶h̶̶o̶̶r̶̶s̶̶e̶ dog princess! (pixelart by me)


    Look out, it's the ̶h̶̶o̶̶r̶̶s̶̶e̶ dog princess! (pixelart by me)

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 04:31 AM PST

    Truly the decendant of a gooreat lineage of heroes. (Pixelart by me)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 05:09 PM PST

    Just beat my first Dragon Quest game, DQ11 and my lord it was awesome. (Spoilers)

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 09:04 AM PST

    This game was absolutely beautiful, I loved all the music, all the characters, and the story was amazing. I never had played the other dragon quest games so some of the references I didn't understand, but even so the ending I could recognize as the beginning of DQ 3. That just left me speechless, it was so cool to think about. Also with the whole thing with Erdrick at the end it was just too exciting. I loved the game, and I can't wait for the next one I play.

    So that begs the question: what game should I play next?

    Obviously this game seems to lead into 3, but I wasn't sure if I should play 1 or 2 before it. Or heck, I've heard that 8 was great too. Any suggestions would be nice, but I was maiming here just to state how much I adored that game, and I'm happy to be apart of this lovely game franchise's fanbase. :)

    submitted by /u/leturtlederp
    [link] [comments]

    Were there any plans for ishmari?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 02:38 AM PST

    He was really cool character, yet he only appeared twice, when he could have been an eighth sage or something, or maybe he could have been a boss when he got the moon shadow harp back. He had so much potential, so does anyone know if he was originally going to use it.

    submitted by /u/Highway-Amazing
    [link] [comments]

    Dragon Quest I: A Newcomer's Perspective

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 09:16 AM PST

    I've just now finished the inaugural installment of Dragon Quest for the first time on my Switch. Before I downloaded it last night, I hadn't had much interest in the series beyond having an appreciation for Akira Toriyama's artwork, although admittedly that comes from being a fan of Dragon Ball for over 20 years more than anything else. But in doing research for a project on the Final Fantasy series, I felt it would be remiss of me not to do my due diligence in setting my headspace closer to that of Japanese players' circa 1987, and considering that the first two Dragon Quest games preceded the first Final Fantasy (and how the greenlight was given to Final Fantasy because of the success of Enix's Dragon Quest proving that RPGs could sell on the Famicom), it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that Dragon Quest I and II may have informed the direction of Final Fantasy in that franchise's early years.

    So I dropped $5 on the Switch port of Dragon Quest, set down my phone, moved away from my computers, and sought to play the game with as little assistance as possible. I didn't even look up scans of any manuals from the time, though admittedly this was due to a slip of the mind rather than any self-imposed challenge.

    While I set out to play the first 2-3 installments for the sake of a Final fantasy retrospective, let it be known that I won't be making comparisons to Squaresoft's own seminal RPG series. While I have experience with various FF installments, I haven't finished a single one, or even touched any of that series' 8-bit installments as of yet. Being that this is a DQ subreddit, and that DQ1 predates FF1 by over 18 months, such comparisons when discussing DQ1 wouldn't make much sense.

    So, without further adieu...

    The Story

    ...what is there to say? In fairness, I wasn't expecting much of anything out of this game's narrative, not because of any negative bias going into it, but because of the era from which it hails. In that regard, I'm not disappointed. While the worldbuilding and narrative are sparse, what is there to be found is charming in its simplicity, and at least to me engaging in the sense that the world feels a bit like a puzzle. Talking to townsfolk to learn about the world, get hints at what you need to do, and learning about the odd legend here and there felt fulfilling when it all clicked together through entirely organic means.

    Dragon Quest I only directly tells the player what's going on on a macro level. There's an evil Dragonlord who threatens the world and only you, the descendant of the legendary hero Erdrick, can stop him. From there, the onus is on the player to learn more through interactions with the people around you. The Princess, for example, has been kidnapped and the King is too stricken with grief to let on about it; it's one of his subjects who tells you about her. Speaking with people gives you hints about where you need to go, how to get to certain places, and what you need to do to make progress.

    It may ultimately add up to very little, but the story of Dragon Quest I is perfectly serviceable for what it is, even if it is a bit dry. But if the player is willing to put themselves in more of an explorative mood, approaching the attitude one would have playing a more Western RPG open world experience like Fallout or Elder Scrolls, then the story becomes a bit more engaging, if only because they have to actively engage with the world in order to make progress.

    Gameplay/Progression

    It's a turn-based RPG. There isn't much to say about the combat, really. It's perfectly fine. But what I can talk about, though, is the grind. Dragon Quest I is about 80-90% grinding to be able to reach a high enough level to combat enemies in certain parts of the world in order to go to the next town, clear a dungeon, or accrue enough gold to buy a new weapon or armor set. There is something gratifying, however, about cleaving through monsters in one attack that previously would do the same to you, and in doing so ostensibly opening up more of the world map to explore. Sure, it was always open, but now you don't have to worry about getting completely stomped into the ground by a random Skeleton or Chimaera. Granted, I played the Switch port, which to my knowledge has increased experience and gold gains over the original NES version, so I had it easier than if I had played the original, but this doesn't necessarily negate my criticism. Dragon Quest I is a grind. A satisfying grind once you've put enough time into it, but a grind nonetheless.

    As far as difficulty goes, I would say that DQ1 is a very trial and error sort of experience, learning where the more powerful monsters are and taking the time to learn where it would be best for you to grind at your current level. I finished the game at level 21, and it took me 3 tries to defeat the Dragonlord, with each pass through the preceding dungeon gaining me a single level up along the way. I only had to look up a guide on three occasions: finding the entrance to Galen's Tomb (but I found the Lyre without a map), finding the Sunstone, and learning the location of Erdrick's Sword (but without looking up a guide or map to find out how to reach it). I can see the lines players are meant to draw in their heads between information given to them and behaviors they are implicitly taught through map design to be able to accomplish all three tasks I briefly turned to the Internet for help accomplishing, but at least in the case of the first two they feel a bit more obtuse compared to what the player has experienced, and require blind faith to successfully accomplish on one's own. There's no consequence for failing to figure them out, however, which I feel is reasonable, but elements such as this make DQ1 feel like a bit of a "guide game".

    Presentation

    I feel it's a bit of a disappointment to see this section be a bit of a stub compared to the previous two, but being that I played a modern, cleaned up port with new artwork and musical arrangements, I don't think I can comment too much on this aspect of the game. As I've stated in the introductory portion, I like Toriyama's designs, and can appreciate them independently of his monolithic Shonen manga, especially with the new artwork allowing the monster designs to be unencumbered by the limitations of the Famicom, but beyond that I struggle to recall much else. I struggle to recall a single music track, even the incessant random encounter battle theme. The newly redrawn character sprites stuck out to me, but only because they felt out of place against the backgrounds in this port. They felt too big and bright with lines a bit too thin. But I do like those backgrounds and map tiles, for what it's worth. Overall, it's a fine enough presentation, erring more towards a positive experience than a negative one.

    Conclusion

    While Dragon Quest I is absolutely showing its age, even with the modern coat of paint and quality of life features and tweaks made to it, I found it to be a charming experience that can still be enjoyed today if one were to play it in short bursts. The Switch is an ideal platform for it, since it isn't a terribly long game and its gameplay loop is quite well suited to a portable platform. It's only engaging, however, for those willing to look past its age and simplicity, and are also willing to engage with the world as though it were a puzzle. I would recommend it to someone only with these qualifiers in mind, taking time to explain to them that this is the game that would act as the basic foundation for not just Eastern RPGs but RPGs as a whole for decades to come.

    It's a no frills, bare bones experience, and for that reason I believe it should be approached with a mindset of wanting to relax and kill some monsters, rather than with any expectation of it feeling as revolutionary now as it was in 1986. Just about all of its conventions and twists have been adopted by the genre at large in the nearly 35 years since its release. This is not a bad thing at all; in fact, it means that players of more recent turn-based JRPGs may already have a fairly decent grasp on these very conventions, how they work, and how to interact with them. But it does mean that outside of its significance to the development of the genre, interest for its own sake, or as a checkmark on a list of games to play as a fan of later Dragon Quest installments, there is very little that Dragon Quest I has to offer today. Thankfully, even with all of that being said, the $5 price tag is a pittance to play a classic game, and is well worth paying even to just try out the game that revolutionized RPGs for decades to come.

    submitted by /u/naetle07
    [link] [comments]

    The guy that wants to buy orichalcum

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 06:30 AM PST

    Does he wants the one that the squid drops or the special one? Should i sell?

    submitted by /u/chooseausernAAme
    [link] [comments]

    At the battleground in DQ11, just now realizing I can take the Parade Participant outfit off ��

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 09:46 AM PST

    I have been stuck with this on for so long without knowing I didn't have to wear it.

    submitted by /u/Wandering-Samurai
    [link] [comments]

    [SPOILER] I just finished Act III of Dragon Quest XI when Luminary was on level 69

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 08:20 AM PST

    On this subreddit people recommended level 80 but I was inpatient :) It took me two precisely strategically timed kerplunks to do the job :). I am a bit sad I did not choose a partner to live with in Drustan's wishes, the Internet said there is a little change in the ending: I already beated three bosses at the end of Drustan's labyrinth and the fourth one seems harder than Calasmos for me. Maybe there is a way to return to the easier bosses (run the Trial of the Sage again?) and try to make this wish.
    I was disappointed when after the end credits it asked me to save the game, but after loading it the world was still with Calasmos (I found myself in Cobblestone church), I expected "evil-free" world like at the end of Act II. Or is this a bug?
    Over all - not only that I liked the game very much, I was literally ADDICTED to it, which happened last time when I was playing games during my teenage years on high school (I am 41 now lol). Thanks to the creators for giving me a means of spending time during lockdown. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/danielsoft1
    [link] [comments]

    My first DQ game and it might be the sickest game ive ever played. First rpg as well. The diversity of people and cultures, the characters, the action, the story, all god tier! Looks like Dragonball but is way better imo!!! I made this little amv of Jade vs Erik and Hero with Prog Trance music ��

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:07 PM PST

    I made a mashup of my dad's favorite DQ song

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 04:24 AM PST

    Homeland is basically the only DQ song my dad knows because I used to play Dragon Quest Builders everyday in my parents' room so the song eventually ended up stuck inside his head. While asking my parents on what mashup to make next, my dad kept telling me to make one for this song, even though I planned to make one for DQ 3's Heavenly Flight but eh, he's my father so dad, your wish is my command.

    (To skip the long boring intro of the orchestral version, I suggest skipping it to around 30 seconds.)

    Here's the link for it:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FViCGISXagY

    submitted by /u/Early_Candidate52
    [link] [comments]

    Eerie Eyrie or Phnom Nonh?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:05 AM PST

    Queen Marina keeps telling me to go to the mini medal academy and I have and have done the side quests there, but now I'm not sure if I should keep going north to the Eerie Eyrie or if I should go south to Phnom Nonh.

    submitted by /u/Sencilia
    [link] [comments]

    Slime :)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 12:41 PM PST

    Dragon Quest: TACT

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 02:58 AM PST

    Hi. Does anyone know if exp is divided between party members like a classic DQ game, or every individual unit receives the same amount no matter how many units in the party?

    submitted by /u/shnosmas
    [link] [comments]

    Was playing dq8 and wondered what the symbol on this door means. It's in dominico's house.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 04:31 PM PST

    Question about DQ11 Act II ending

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:27 PM PST

    Right before you fight Mordegon, if you zoom to other areas to buy things or grind more when you come back do you have to do the fortress of fear ascending again or does it stay permanently unlocked? I know you can use one of the dragonriders to get to the top quick I just mean I don't have to go through and hit all the switches and clear the crystals again right? Sorry if it's a dumb question I'm relatively new to JRPGs and this is my first DQ game

    submitted by /u/drummerboy618
    [link] [comments]

    [Spoiler] Regarding Veronica

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 02:57 PM PST

    I've just finished DQ11S - my first game in the series and one of my favourite games I've ever played. Veronica (along with Erik) is my favourite character, and I was hoping for the chance to restore her true form. I didn't expect it to happen when she got her magic back (I mean, we just met her at that point plus her child form is on the game cover), but was hoping it would happen later on.

    And then it did when Morcant gave her the necklace. Then just a moment later she turns back... At this point I'm thinking "why isn't anyone questioning this" xD. I've seen that the necklace activates during the Mighty Magic Burst and Arboria's Blessing Pep Powers (not sure if it works with others), so she still carries it around. Looking at other posts I understand that it was possibly due to the need to have a separate model that works with all the equipment and animations. I also wonder if it was a development decision to not really focus on Veronica's natural / adult form, outside of what they gave us and letting us speculate where it goes from here?

    It then got me thinking: would Veronica still be able to age naturally? She isn't "cursed" anymore in the sense that she got her magic back from Jarvis so I would guess that she could? I also wonder if they could find some spell, an item, or a mixture of both that could undo the effect permanently? I couldn't help but think of the Magic Mirror from the Hotto quest where it restores Ryu's true form, so for example an augmented version of the necklace that reverts Veronica's physical form to how it was before the curse. I'm probably just over thinking this but it's partially because I loved the game and the experience I had with the world and characters. Also because it feels like a loose end, though I suppose Veronica is happy all things considered at the end of the day haha. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them, or if there were any developer comments on it I'd like to see them.

    submitted by /u/SSunknown
    [link] [comments]

    Dragon Quest XI S, but I only use Serena - Part4

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 01:17 PM PST

    What happens if you choose "no" in every option you get at the marriage dialog in Dragon Quest XI S?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:37 PM PST

    I've wondering what happens if you choose "no" in every conversation you have with every character and the marriage scene. Couldn't find any answer on internet neither any video.

    submitted by /u/Raykrai
    [link] [comments]

    Help with the All Costumes trophy

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 05:42 PM PST

    Can anyone of you guys could help me with this trophy? There's some costumes that I don't really know where they are.

    submitted by /u/mattiaspqrrr
    [link] [comments]

    Grinding gold in dq8

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 03:43 PM PST

    I like dragon quest 8, and I don't want anyone to think I don't, but I have a major problem with this game and it seems like no else has had this problem. The enemies in this game never give enough gold and I can never get any actually good gear for my party, I've spent hours doing stuff like grinding on Neos or fighting monsters in new areas, but at most they only give out a little bit of gold comparative to the price of the weapons and armor that's being sold in those areas. It doesn't matter anymore since I'm almost done with the game, but I just want to know if I some how played it wrong, or missed like vital piece of information. I just feel like I played this game wrong.

    submitted by /u/Ok-Site-4787
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment